This Konkani Chicken Curry recipe is flavourful .It is very easy to make at home. Serve with Rice or Roti , it makes a perfect meal to relish.
The food culture of Konkan coastal plain is influenced by Maharashtra, Goa & Karnataka. Use of Coconut can be seen in most of the dishes. They use more chillies preparing spicy dishes .
Konkani Chicken Curry Recipe
This Konkani Chicken Curry Recipe is a delicacy where coconut is used to balance the spiciness of red chillies. I have used byadagi chillies that effortlessly add a beautiful colour & flavour.
Konkani Chicken Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
You need to marinate Chicken with salt , turmeric powder and chilli powder for at least 30 minutes.
In the mean time you can preapared the Masala paste with coconut that goes into the Konkani Chicken curry recipe.
Dry roast whole spices at medium flame until they release nice toasty aroma. It won’t take more than 20 seconds.
Once it’s done , immediately transfer to a plate and let them cool. Add fresh coconut and make a fine paste adding a little water.
You can store this Paste for 2-3 days in fridge.
I use Cold Processed Coconut oil from my favourite brand The Happy Grove . You can use sesame oil or any vegetable oil refined oil.
The first thing that goes into the hot oil is bay leaf. Once you add onions , fry till they are light brown.
you can add 2-3 green chilies at this point. I picked only one .
Add marinated chicken to this when the onions are light brown . Cook at medium to high flame for 2-3 minutes.
Add the masala paste and cook for 3 minutes. A nice coat of masala will be there on chicken pieces.
Add hot water and cook till done. You can reduce the flame to low and slow cook.
I added 3 cups of water . I wanted a thick gravy to pair with roti. You can add more in making Konkani Chicken Curry .
You may like to try Gongura Chicken Recipe
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut
- 4 clove
To marinate Chicken
- Marinate Chicken with turmeric powder, red Chilli powder , ginger paste and garlic paste for 30 minutes.
- Dry roast whole spices and let it cook at room temperature.
- Add coconut, little water and make a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and add bay leaf. Add sliced onion and fry. Add green chillies .
- Fry at medium flame till onions are light brown.
- Add marinated chicken pieces and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add masala paste and cook at medium to high flame for 4-5 minutes. There will be a nice coat on chicken pieces.
- Reduce the flame to low.Add hot water and salt as per taste.
- Let it cook at low to medium flame till it’s done. You can cover with a lid for some time.
- Allow 10 minutes resting time before you serve. You can rest it up to 2 hours.
You can skip Green Chillies if you do not want to make more spicy. I used byadagi dry red chillies in the recipe.