This aromatic steamed rice cake is an emotion to many odias.Sharing Odia Enduri Pitha Recipe today which is easy to make at home.
The aroma fills the room as you begin the steaming process. Enduri Pitha has the significance when one talks about ‘Prathamasthami’ festival observed in Odisha.
Odia Enduri Pitha
Odisha is famed for origins of many delicious Pithas. Celebrated and served in Odisha festivals , these traditional rice cakes will easily impress you .
Check this Odia style Chaat Recipe
There are varieties of Pithas which are prepared in Odia households. Each Pitha has a story to tell, a festival that narrates its importance.
Enduri Pitha is a must when one talks about ‘Prathama Ashtami’ festival in Odisha.A celebration by parents is observed for their oldest kid among all. Prathama means the first .
Odia Enduri Pitha Recipe
Traditionally this Pitha is prepared in Turmeric leaves. The delightful aroma that turmeric leaf brings to this cake is amazing.
You can also use banana leaf if it’s difficult to fetch turmeric leaf.
If you get fresh turmeric leaf to make Odia Enduri Pitha , do not discard after that. You can re-use the same leaf up to 2-3 times.
You need a steamer to steam . You can also make your own steamer at home. Check in this video how my Mom makes her steamer filling the Kadai with water.
Steps in making Enduri Pitha
Soak the rice and Urad Dal for at least 4 hours separately. First make a fine smooth paste of Urad Dal . Add soaked rice and make a paste.
Add a little water. The consistency has to be like Dosa better.You can also use store bought Dosa batter to make this pitha.
Prepare the coconut filling adding jaggery. You can use organic powder Jaggery for better taste. I add green cardamom for extra flavour.
Cool this mixture at room temperature and use it as stuffing. Check in the above Video.
This mixture can be stored for a week in an airtight box in the refrigerator.
Once you steam for around 12-15 minutes at high flame, let it cool .
In winter days ( Room temperature below 25 C) , these Pithas can be kept at room temperature for a day.
You may like to check Homemade Dalma Spice Mix Recipe
|Prep Time||10 hours|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- Wash rice twice and soak in water for 4 hours. Wash urad dal and soak for 4 hours.
- Make a fine paste of Urad Dal and Rice . Let it fermented for 5-6 hours . In summer when the temperature is beyond 30 degrees C , it ferments quickly.
- In a pan add jaggery and coconut. Cook at medium flame until a golden colour stuffing is ready. It will take 5-7 minutes. Add cardamom powder and mix well. Cool it at room temperature.
- Wash turmeric leaves and pat dry. Grease with a little Ghee. Spread a spoonful of batter on it. Add coconut stuffing and fold it once lengthwise.
- In a steamer add water . Let it boil . Place all folded turmeric leaves filled with batter. Steam for 10-12 minutes until done.
- Let it cool a bit. Remove gently the turmeric leaf and take out the steamed rice cake to a plate. Serve at room temperature.