Aloo Chop Recipe is super easy to make at home. These Potatoes fritters are so perfect to pair with a cup of Chai.
These Odia style Potato fritters are my favourite. I love the thin coated chops. Besan aka Gram flour is used to coat the spiced potato mix balls.
Deep Frying in Aloo Chop Recipe
Deep fried snacks are not always unhealthy . It can fit into your healthy lifestyle. All you need to do is choosing the right Oil & Utensil.
I have used Idhayam Hardil Mustard oil to fry Aloo Chop. The high smoke point of mustard oil makes it a stable oil.It also helps in digestion , boost immunity.
Aloo Chop Recipe | Odia style Potato Fritters
I unfurl a bundle of memories every time I munch on these crispy chops. There are many such unnamed food stalls on the street of Odisha selling Aloo Chops.
All you need is Potato , Gram flour and a few spices to prepare at home.
I have added Ginger & Garlic paste here. This is the typical village style preparation where I grew up. The batter consistency is not so thick or thin.
Many love a thick coating batter but I love the thin one. Gram flour and rice flour is used to prepare the batter.Rice flour adds a nice crunch & texture.
Potato fritters are perfect snack in winter.
Hot fried Chops with your favourite cup of Tea or Coffee .
Local market is flooded with Colourful seasonal produces. I got a bunch of raddish yesterday.
After frying the Chops , I served it as a chaat. Added thin slices of fresh radish , chopped cucumber and Onions. At the end added dollop of kasundi aka mustard sauce . It was a flavour bomb plate.
I love my chaat really spicy. There was a good amount of chopped green chillies in my plate.
You may like to check Odia style Kakara Recipe .
- 1.5 cup Boiled Potato
- 1 cup gram flour Besan
- 1/4 Cup rice flour
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Idhayam Hardil Mustard Oil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan. Add mustard seed and let it sputter. Add chopped green chilli.
- Add all Masala powder and sauté for 30 seconds at low flame.
- Add boiled potato and mix well. Cook for two minutes. Add salt and mix. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Divide into small balls . Each ball should be double the size of a lemon.
- Prepare a thick batter. In a bowl add gram flour, rice flour and add a pinch of salt. Add water and mix well.
- Heat mustard oil in an iron kadai. Dip each ball into the batter and coat well. Fry at medium to high flame until they are light golden colour.
- You can fry 6-7 pieces at one time depending on the size of kadai. Serve hot.