Sharing the Best Suji Kakara Recipe for the occasion of Deepavali. The Festival of Lights is at the doorstep. It’s time to start the preparation.
Sweets & Savouries are equally important for this celebration.
What is Suji Kakara / Bhaja Suji Manda
Semolina dumplings stuffed generously with coconut and Jaggery mixture. A double cooking Pitha which effortlessly impress any food lover. A delicacy from Odisha.
We enjoy it as a meal when served with Ghuguni or spicy potato curry. The right amount of sweetness is what we enjoy the most here.
Best Suji Kakara Recipe
Kakara is an absolute crowd pleaser. With the crispy edge , it fits into the festive menu.
You need Suji aka semolina to prepare this delicacy. Grated coconut & jaggery mixture is used as a filling. Flavoured with Green Cardamom, the aroma is simply divine.
First you need to cook the semolina in hot water preparing a dough. Cool it completely at room temperature.
You may like to check the Recipe for Besan Ladoo
Make balls and stuff with the prepared Coconut filling. You need to flaunt your artistic skill. Check the video to learn .Trust me it’s super easy .
It’s very similar to the way you stuff making Aloo Paratha. Grease your palm with water while you shape the ball.
Freshly grated coconut is the best to use. Though you can use frozen one available at supermarket. Thaw it at room temperature before cooking them.
You can add chopped nuts in making the filling. I have not used in my recipe.
I have used Idhayam Mantra Groundnut oil to fry . This oil is pure & natural. So, it’s a healthy choice for your family & loved ones.
The aroma & flavour brings more flavour to this Odia delicacy.
This oil has a high smoke point, making it a good choice in frying Suji Kakara. Fry at medium to high flame. Fry both sides to light golden colour. Allow them to cool completely at room temperature before you serve.
Check the Recipe for Mathri ( Whole wheat Crackers)
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||30 Minutes|
- 2 cup semolina
- 1.5 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1 tbsp green-cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil
- 4 Cup water
- In a kadai fry the semolina at low flame for 2-3 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Boil water and add salt , sugar to it. Add fried semolina little by little stirring continuously. Cook at low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Cover with a lid for a minute. Let the dough cool at room temperature.
- In a pan add Coconut and fry for a minute at medium flame. Add Jaggery and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add cardamom powder and give it a mix. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Divide the semolina dough into 12-15 equal parts. Stuff each ball with a tablespoon of coconut filling. Grease your palm with water and seal the dough . Check the Video
- Heat oil and start frying at low to medium flame. Fry both sides till they are light golden colour.
- Let it cool at room temperature and serve as a dessert.