Sharing Odia Kakara Pitha Recipe today. A fried stuffed Fritters which is served as Dessert and Snack .
Celebrations are like traditional threads which bind people in bonds of love & joy. Odisha celebrates many colorful festivals through out the year.
Raja-Sankranti(Swing festival) is such a festival that inaugurates the agricultural span on the arrival of Monsoon.
The term Raja has come from Rajaswala (meaning a menstruating woman) .
It is believed that the mother Earth undergoes menstruation during the first three days of Raja Festival.The first showers of the monsoon moistening the sun dried soil , thus making it ready for productivity. First day called “Pahili Raja”,second day “Raja Sankranti”,third day as “Basi Raja” and the fourth day is called as “Basumati Snana” or ceremonial bath of Bhudevi. So there is no agricultural activities during these 4 days of celebration.
Raja celebration is incomplete without “Pithas”..”Poda Pitha” is a must at every house which is made of rice-flour,jaggery,coconut etc
Mom prepared Kakara pitha (Sweet fritters) & Jau Pitha today. Yesterday she prepared “poda pitha” too .But I realized lately that everything is over before I click .
So today I clicked first ,then allowed everyone to eat. Here sharing recipe of “Suji Kakara” aka Sweet Fritters which are a fried variety.
What you need for Odia Kakara Pitha Recipe
You need small variety Semolina (Suji ) to prepare this dish . A dough is prepared cooking Semolina in hot water. Cool the dough and knead it to a soft dough. You may add 2 tsp of sugar while making the dough.
Prepare the coconut filling with fresh grated coconut and jaggery. You may replace the jaggery with sugar. Adjust the sugar quantity according to your taste.
Fry at medium to high flame. Use refined oil fro frying ( avoid Olive oil / Mustard oil ) .
Once it’s done , allow to cool down. It taste better after 2-3 hours. I like to eat in the breakfasts too.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 tbsp clarified butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 2 tbsps fennel seed
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 cups coconut
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Refined Oil for frying
- Boil water in a pan ,add salt & fennel to it.
- When water about to start boiling ,add semolina stirring slowly at low flame.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for 2 minute till you get a dough kind structure.
- Cool it a bit.When it's warm ,add ghee and knead for 3 minute to get a smooth dough.
- In the mean time in a pan add coconut,cardamom powder.Heat the pan at low flame and add jaggery to it. Stir and cook for 4 to 5 minute.Cool it and use this for filling.
- Now make 12 equally sized ball out of the dough.Take one dough and flat on your palm into a disc .Add coconut stuffing to it and close the end.
- Flatten the stuffed ball a little into a circular disc using your fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Fry them at medium flame until they are golden brown both the side.