Are you looking for a spicy, aromatic yet lip-smacking dish to impress a Chicken lover?Here I am with Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe for you.
Chicken Ghee Roast is robust. Rich in spices that fried in clarified butter. These dish origins from a small town Kundapur, close to Mangalore. Hence it’s quite popular in Mangalore, a port city of Karnataka state.
India is widely appreciated for its fabulous use of herbs and spices. A place with different cultures and cuisines. You can find a different variation of a particular dish.So one can’t proclaim the authenticity of a dish. Many such heirloom recipes are being passed from one generation to another in a family.
Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe
You need Chicken for this dish. You need to marinate with curd , turmeric powder and red chili powder for at least an hour.Curd slowly tenderises the meat.
The very important step in making Chicken Ghee Roast is to fry the whole spices in Ghee.You have to slow roast the whole spices .
Clarified butter or Ghee brings the essence to this Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe.
Then make a fresh ground masala out of that. The spices are very similar to Chettinad cuisine.
I have added Tamarind pulp to the dish. To balance the sourness, one tablespoon of jaggery is added.You can not skip this part.
Sunday lunch was satisfying. I have prepared some jowar-roti with Chicken Ghee Roast for lunch. At the end a glass of buttermilk.Serving on banana leaf is another way of enjoying a traditional meal.I just love to do that.
|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 500 gm chicken
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri Chili owder
- 3 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 tbsp coriander seed
- 3 Dry Red chili
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 clove
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 10 garlic clove
- 1 inch ginger
- 1.5 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- In a bowl marinate chicken with curd,red-chili powder ,turmeric ,salt and keep it for an hour.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp Clarified butter .Add all ingredients written above from Cumin to ginger. Fry for a minute at slow flame.Cool it.Add tamarind pulp ,jaggery , salt and make a smooth paste.You may add little water if needed.
- In the same pan add the marinated chicken and cook at medium flame until it's almost done.It will take 5 to 7 minute.
- In another pan heat 2 tbsp clarified butter. Add curry leaves .Add the masala paste and fry for 2 to 3 minute till it's start leaving oil.
- Add the chicken to it and mix well.Cook for 2 minute .It's ready.You can add water if you want little gravy .