Fried Fish in Banana leaf Recipe sounds so flavorful. Karimeen Polichathu, a dish that every Malayali love.An authentic preparation from Kerala. With the goodness of Virgin Cold processed Coconut Oil from The Happy Grove, the Fish tastes lip-smacking good.
Banana leaf has the charm to bring an authentic taste to any kind of dish. A parcel made from banana leaves seals in moisture and flavour.
The flavours of Fried Fish gets enriched flavour after being cooked in banana leaf. You will be smoothly transported into a different zone when you open the parcel. That ecstatic feel.
Benefits of Cooking Fried Fish in Banana Leaf
Eating on a Banana Leaf is a tradition dates back centuries.
Banana leaves are packed with plant-based compounds called polyphenols, which are the natural antioxidants. During the Cooking process, the heat stimulates the polyphenols which get absorbed in the food.
I too make Enduri Pithas , a traditional dish from Odisha with Banana leaf. When you serve Food wrapped in Banana Leaf, that elicits nostalgia. The food speaks so much when it’s served with such an attractive makeover.
Fried Fish in Banana Leaf Recipe | Step by Step Kerala Karimeen pollichathu
What’s Karimeen pollichathu
This is a very popular Fish preparation from God’s own country, Kerala. The state which offers the Nature in it’s best appealing way.
I had this dish during my stay in Fort Kochi. The explosion of flavours that brings to your palate is totally mind-blowing.
Karimeen means the pearl spot fish. Karimeen is a highly nutritive food. It contains low fat, high protein, rich in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D and riboflavin as well as minerals like calcium and phosphorus.
You may love to Read my Fort Kochi Travel experience. Click Here
The Virgin Coconut Oil from The Happy Grove brings you natural goodness in a jar, made from the finest coconuts grown in the Kuttiyadi region of Kerala. Embrace the natural path to great health by making it your everyday cooking oil.
Coconut Oil not only adds flavours to your food, but it also comes with a lot of health benefits. It detoxifies the liver and protects against
infections. And the good fat in this helps balance cholesterol levels.
Lets’ cook Fried Fish in Banana Leaf / Karimeen pollichathu step by step..
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 medium sized Karimeen Fish Cleaned and marked
- 5 tbsp Happy Grove Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 green chilies
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup shallots
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tsp garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp coarinder leaves
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder
- 2 banana leaf
- Make a paste of 1 tbsp Coriander powder, 1 tsp Red Chili powder,1 tbsp Pepper powder, Turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice, and ginger-garlic paste.
- take the whole fish and make shallow slits on both sides (2-3). Now apply this paste on both sides all over. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and fry the fish both sides at medium flame.
- In another pan heat 2 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds. let it sputter.
- Add chopped onion and shallot onions together. Fry for a minute. Add chopped garlic, chopped green chilies and cook on medium flame until onions are translucent.
- Then add tomato, green chili, and curry leaves. Cook at medium flame until it is mushy. Add all the remaining spices powders and stir.
- Add salt, tamarind, jaggery and cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Divide the masala into two portion
- Take one fish and one portion of the masala. Take one soft banana leaf. Spread half of the masala on the leaf. Put the fish on top of it. Spread remaining masala on it. So, both side of the fish is now coated with masala sauce.
- wrap the fish with that banana leaf and tie it well with a string.
- Heat some oil in a pan, and place the wrapped fish in the pan. Close it with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes at the low flame on both sides. Serve hot with rice.
Thanks Guys, Your Recipe Was Too Fantastic. Me and My Family Loved it. I Will definitely Share your Rrecipe with my friends.
Thank you for trying the recipe. So happy to hear that your family loved it .