Elephant Apple Chutney
While people in Indonesia make a healthy breakfast-drink using Elephant apple ,in eastern India this fruit is generously used making curries, chutney etc.
“Oou” ,”chalta” ,”owtenga” that’s how this tree is recognized in local names in India which is grown in semi -tropical forests in deep soil and humid atmosphere.
There are many recipes from my Granny cook-box using Oou ,those i have been cherished so far. We use the soft or hard outside petals in preparing a dish .Women in villages use the gelatinous pulp surrounding the sepals as a raising agent to ferment rice batter quickly for it’s acidic nature.
Yesterday Mom made such a fluffy rice pancake in breakfast using this pulp .God has given all natural solution for the food science to work. Isn’t so magical ?
Today sharing recipe of a chutney from Mom’s kitchen which goes perfect with rice.Use soft unripe elephant apple for this.
The key ingredient to this delicious dish is “Paanch Phoran” or the Indian Five Spice.Below is the picture of that ,where cumin,fennel seed,black mustard seed,fenugreek seed and onion seed are mixed in equal proportion.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 cups plain flour elephant petals , sliced
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1 tbsp apricot Indian
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 egg Dry
- 1 tbsp basil leaves red
- 3 tsps unsalted butter paste
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- to taste chili powder
- 2 cups milk
- Make a solution of water and mustard paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add five spice ,let it sputter. Add dry red chili & saute for few second.
- Add elephant apple petals , turmeric ,salt.Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minute at medium flame. Check in-between.
- Once they are soft ,add mustard water to it and cook for another 7 to 10 minute.
- Add jaggery ,red chili powder and salt per taste. Cook for another 4 to 5 minute.Switch of the flame.
- It's ready to serve. Tastes best when served chilled ,you can keep this chutney in refrigerator for few days.
Looks awesome . ??