I am sharing a childhood favourite dish Paneer Makhani which Mom makes it very often. This is a super easy creamy Paneer Makhani Recipe which can be prepared in just 20 minutes.
What is Paneer Makhani ?
Makhani means creamy and Paneer means Cottage Cheese. A dish with a creamy luscious gravy prepared with cottage cheese cubes.
Indian cottage cheese which is widely known as Paneer requires no culturing ,can be easily made at home curdling warm milk with lemon juice or fruit vinegar.
Creamy Paneer Makhani Recipe
You need fresh cream and cashew nuts paste for the creamy gravy. You can buy cream or can use homemade fresh cream.
Many use melon seeds , poppy seeds in place of cashew nuts. You need to soak the nuts in water for 5-10 minutes to make a smooth paste.
Adding dried fenugreek leaves at the end is a must. This adds a zing to the dish. You can slightly roast the dried leaves on a tawa for 10-20 seconds and crush them.This helps to release even more flavour.
In preparing this north-Indian popular dish ,cream is added at last bringing the richness of the dish.
To make tomato puree , you need to Blanch the fresh tomatoes . Cool them and make a puree. You can also use store bought puree.
Blanching helps in retaining the bright colour of the vegetable.
Blanching is always a two-step process .Drop tomatoes into boiling water, usually for only a minute or two . Take it out and immediately put into ice water to stop the further cooking process .
How to Serve Creamy Paneer Makhani
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Passive Time||30 minutes|
- 200 gm Cottage Cheese or Paneer Cubes
- 5 tomato
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 tbsps cream
- 12 cashew nut
- 2 tbsps Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tsps fenugreek dried leaves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- Blanch and peel tomatoes ,make a puree of it.
- In a pan heat butter and oil ,add bay leaf ,peeper ,chopped onion ,ginger ,garlic and fry for 2 minute.Add cashew nut and fry for another minute.Cool the mixture .Discard bay leaf from the mixture and make a paste adding few drops of water.
- In the same Pan add this paste and cook for a minute.Add tomato puree and sugar to it and saute it till the masala is done.
- Add coriander powder,cumin powder,salt,cardamom powder,cinnamon powder ,chili powder and cook for a minute. Add water and let it cook at medium flame for 2 minute.
- Add Paneer cubes & cook for a minute. Add crushed kasori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), cream and switch off the flame. Cover and leave it for 2 minute.
- Serve hot with Indian flat bread or Dahi wali Roti.
Looks delicious..my kids favourite