Mint Rice or Pudina Rice is a one-pot meal. Spicy, flavorful with the goodness of Mint leaves.This Spicy Mint Rice Recipe is my all time favourite.
I was alone at home, it was pouring outside.Days are like that when you feel lazy to cook for yourself. I wanted something spicy too as I was down with cold flu.
Spicy Mint Rice Recipe
Thankfully there was a bunch of fresh mint leaves lying in the fridge. The moment that green leaves caught my attention, a swift idea of making Mint Rice peep into my mind.The result you can see the picture that I relished with a happy heart.
Benefits Of Mint
Mint is scientifically known as Mentha and has hundreds of varieties. It has been used for hundreds of years for its remarkable medicinal properties.
Mint is a palate cleanser which promotes digestion.Mint Rice will result in a comfort digestion with no doubt.
It helps in weight loss and improves oral health.So chew few leaves which is natural mouth-freshener.
You can add some vegetables to this recipe and make a minty vegetable pulao.It never goes wrong.This can be perfect for kid’s lunchbox.I have tried many recipes of this. Finally, I am sharing the best one which I learned from Mom.
I will suggest you serve it immediately to enjoy a hot bowl of it. You can serve this with fresh curd or raita of your choice. Curd is always a regular affair in my diet.My meal is just incomplete without it.
Variations to Spicy Mint Rice Recipe
Sometimes I add chicken pieces too.Well, you can always try something new. I don’t follow blindly a recipe.I try to understand the science, the method of making any dish. That’s why all those traditional methods of cooking fascinate me a lot.
I too love to collect traditional cookware. My friend gifted me two clay-pots from Kerala which is used to prepare the popular Meen Curry. I am using one of them to set some curd at home. I just love the smell of home-made curd in a clay pot. Have you ever tasted?
You can also cook this Mint-Rice in a clay pot. This will enhance the taste and flavor a level up.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small Tomatoes
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 inch Cinamon
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Soak rice in water for 15 minutes.Make a paste of tomato,green-chili and mint leaves.
- In a pan heat oil.Add cumin seed and cinnamon stick.After 30sec ,add chopped onion.Fry onion at medium flame.
- Add ginger and garlic paste.Add turmeric powder and salt , fry till they are done.Add mint paste to it and rice.Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 1.5 cup water to it and cook on high flame for 2 minutes.Reduce the flame and cover a lid. cook for 7 to 10 minute till it's done. Check once in-between to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve hot with fresh curd or enjoy with some pickle of your choice.