I have learnt this Fish with Eggplant Curry Recipe from my Mom. Cooked with minimal spices , this dish is unique and super delicious.
You can cook with Rohu or Catla Fish. This two varieties are easily available and most loved Fish in Odisha.
Fish with Eggplant Curry Recipe
This dish is so flavourful that you can’t resist yourself asking for the second servings.
Apart from Eggplant , there is Arum . Arum is a root vegetable, rich in fiber. It is good for your heart and gut as well.
This is a starchy veggie, so you need to fry it for a minute before adding water to it.If you are allergic to this vegetable, you can replace this with potatoes .
I have added a few pieces of sun-dried urad dal Badis. You can find Badis in every Odia house , especially in Summer. Apart from adding to Curries, We also make delicious ‘Badi Chura’ and ‘Badi Khata‘ with it.
Badi is optional in this recipe . You can skip it. You can buy Badi online. You need to fry them in mustard oil before adding to this curry.
Tips & Tricks for Fish with Eggplant Curry Recipe
Pancha Phutana (Indian Five Spices) is a colourful spice blend used in this curry.
You can make this at home adding five spices in equal proportion. Mustard seeds,Fennel seeds ,Onion seeds , Fenugreek seeds and Cumin seeds.
To flavour the oil ,this colourful blend of spices is added at the beginning before adding Veggies and Fish.
Pancha Phutana is used in most of the Odia delicacies. Starting from Dalma to Fish curry.
You can marinate Rohu fish slices with turmeric and salt for 5 minutes before frying.Avoid deep frying your fish slices.
If you are using frozen fish slices, let it come to room temperature before frying.
I will strongly recommend to use Mustard oil for this Fish with Eggplant Curry Recipe . Though you can use Sunflower Or Rice-bran Oil.
The mustard paste should be kept for 10 mins outside before adding to the curry. Else it may result bitterness in the curry.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 500 gm Rohu Fish 4-5 slices
- 2 eggplant
- 100 gm Arum
- 1 tbsp Five Spices
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 Dry Red chilies
- 1 green chili
- 1 tbs black mustard seed
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 5 Fried Badis Optional
- Soak mustard seeds and Dry Red chillies in 1/2 cup water for 10 mins. Add garlic ,make a fine paste. Keep aside for 10 mins.
- Peel Arum and cut each into half. Heat 1 tsp Oil in a kadai , add slices arum and fry it for a minute.
- Add 1.5 cup water to the mustard paste and add this to Kadai. Let it come to a boil.
- Add eggplant slices, salt and cook on medium flame till it’s done.
- In a pan , heat 2 tbsp oil and fry fish slices. Take it out and keep aside . Add pancha photan to the same oil , let it sputter. Add crushed garlic and green chilli to it.Add fried Badis and mix.
- Add cooked vegetables and cook for a minute. Adjust salt and water as per your need.
- Add fried fish slices and cook on low flame for 2 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.