Sharing this easy Coconut Suji Gujiya Recipe today. A festive snack without which Deepavali is incomplete.
What is Gujiya
It is a popular Indian festive food. Gujiya is also popular in Odisha but in a different name.It is called as Karanji. While the Goan people also make this and call it Nevri.
Easy Coconut Suji Gujiya
Coconut Gujiya is a dry sweet. It can an be stored at room-temperature ,so my Mom always makes a pretty good amount of it. But it’s a different story that it won’t last meeting her expectation .We finish them just in two days.
Different Names of Coconut Gujiya
Though making Gujiyas is a common sight during the festival of light in the north part of India.While in Goa this is a part of Ganesh Chathurthi Celebration. But we enjoy making Gujiyas through out the year .
I celebrate every day of my Life. This time we too made Gujiyas for Ganesh Chathurthi like Goan people.The occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi gives us an opportunity to remember what Lord Ganesha stands for.It is one of the most pompous festivals in India.
In Goa a crispy fried stuffed dumpling is prepared during ‘Chovoth’ or Ganesha Chatthurthi which is called “Nevri” . A crescent shaped fried dessert with a crunchy exterior prepared from Maida,Coconut,dry-fruits ,semolina etc . Nevri is the other name of Coconut Gujiya.
Variation of Coconut Gujiya
The addition of Semolina in recipe brings that crunchy texture. You can’t miss that in your recipe. You can add dry-fruits like cashew ,almonds to the filling.In stead of Coconut ,you can make a filling using Mawa. Mawa Gujiyas are very popular in North-India.
You can also replace half of Miada with wheat-flour.In stead of deep frying ,these Coconut Gujiyas can be baked too.
Preheat your oven at 200 degree for 10 minutes. Do not forget to grease the tray with oil.Bake Coconut Gujiyas for 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown. Let it cool completely before you store these Karanji in an air-tight container.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 1 tbsp clarified butter Ghee
- 2 cups fresh coconut grated
- 2 tbsp sesame seed
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 2 tbsps peanut roasted
- 1/2 tsp green-cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a bowl mix the maida, semolina and the salt.Add ghee and mix it well. You will get a coarse texture. Add water and prepared a soft dough.Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep it aside.
- Start preparing the filling. In a pan add grated coconut ,poppy seed ,jaggery and cook at medium flame for 5 minute. Add cardamom powder.
- Grind peanut to a coarse powder. Add this to coconut and cook for 2 minute .The filling should be dry .Switch of the flame and let the mixture cool a bit.
- Now divide dough into 20 equal part .Roll each dough into a circular disc.
- spread sufficient filling on it. Fold it as half-circle and seal it properly.
- To seal the edge ,you can grease the edge with a little water using your finger .It will help you to seal it properly.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadhai ,fry prepared stuffed dumplings at medium flame.
- Adjust the heat , don't fry it at high temperature .It generally takes 2 to 3 minute for each batch to fry .Then only the outer skin will be crunchy.
- You can keep them at air-tight container for 2 to 3 day at room temperature.