Take a walk across shabby lanes in North-India, this Dahi Bhalla Chaat makes its presence felt everywhere. This Dahi Bhalla Chaat Recipe is easy to follow.
After the most popular Panipuri or Gupchup ,if there is one thing in street-food that India thrives on,it is a plate of damned delicious chaat. Dahi Bhalla Chaat, a dish that nails just about every bliss point. It comes closer to Dahi-vada .But the use of sweet & spicy sauces uplifts this dish to a better lingering flavor.
Dahi Bhalla Chaat Recipe
I remember those days ..Chaat hopping while strolling in the streets of Chandini Chowk in Delhi. You will surely regret it if you miss them. As soon as you get out of the metro station at Chandini Chowk, there is “Ashok Chaat Corner” on the left side of the road. It always started with a plate of panipuri for me. But can not be ended with a plate of Dahi Bhalla Chaat.
Today we are celebrating ” New Year” as per the Odiya solar calendar. The day is also known as “Mahabishuba Sankranti” which is incomplete without the customary ‘Bela pana’ . “Bela Pana” which is a sweet drink made of hard-shelled bael fruit, coconut , banana & other spices. It’s a special offerings today in all Shiva Temples. Mom has prepared that in the Morning . Dealing with the gummy sap & sticky texture of Bael is not an easy job. Both skill & patience are needed. This festival is also celebrated as Baisakhi in west-Bengal and Vishu in Kerala.
Today is the official day when the Sun declares that the days are gonna longer & hotter. Spring had already lost it’s charm this year . Now time for Summery Days !! Time to relish more salads & cold soups .
Serve this Dahi Bhalla chaat with chilled curd & sauces for a summery afternoon.You will surely love it. It’s a No-Onion No-Garlic Recipe. So can be a savior on any festive day.
|Prep Time||5 hour|
|Cook Time||15 minute|
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 cup curd Chilled
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup green chutney
- 1/2 cup date chutney
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- chili powder
- fresh mint leaves
- pomegranate seeds
- Black salt
- Clean urad dal and soak it in water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain out excess water from the soaked dal and grind it coarsely with few tsp of water .whisk it with a spoon for 2 minute.
- Heat Oil .Make small balls out of that batter and fry them till light brown in color.
- Take some water in any vessel and add asafoetida and salt into it. Add the fried vadas to this water
- After 2 minute take out dahi vadas from water and squeeze it gently to drain out the excess water .Keep them on serving plates.
- Add sugar ,black salt and cumin powder to the hung curd ,mix it well. Put curd on each serving plate.
- Put green chutney , sweet date-tamarind chutney on top. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and sev if you like. I have added chopped beet-root & carrot thin slices on top while serving.