Sukha Kala chana Recipe or Dry Black Chickpea Curry is one of such food which can be relished as a snack or as a side-dish.
This dry version of black chickpea is also served as prasad in North-India. Poori , Sukha Kala chana, and suji halwa is one of such popular meal served at Bhandaras in North-India. Bhandara is a religious gathering during the festive season.
How to make Sukha Kala Chana Recipe
You need black small chickpeas to make this dish. You have to soak them in water for 3-4 hours. Once it is soaked , you can see a difference in the size too. It will be more in quantity and weight.
There is no Garlic and Onion in the Recipe. You can add more Green Chillies if you want to make it really spicy.
There is Dry Mango powder aka Amchur . This is Indian fruity spice powder prepared from Raw Green Mango. That adds so much tanginess to the dish.
You may like to check this Sulaimani Tea Recipe that goes so well with this Sukha Kala Chana
Variations to Sukha Kala Chana
Mom makes another version of sukha kala chana where she adds freshly grated coconut to it.And the spices are very minimal in that.
She only adds mustard seed, dry red chili and curry leaves in preparing the tempering.At the end fresh grated coconut is added to it.There is no Amchoor in that.
This makes a great snack during winter or rainy days. Serve it warm with a cup of ginger-tea.
This version is different. Kala chanas are coated with a blend of spices which makes it flavoursome.
To make it more appetizing, sprinkle lemon juice, add chopped coriander leaves and fresh green chili to it.In no time a tea-time snack will be ready.
Why to Eat Dry Black Chickpea
Kala Chana is loaded with nutrients such as iron, protein, copper etc.The soluble fiber content in the bean has been shown to help improve blood sugar and lower cholesterol.So you can add 1 cup of cooked chana to your weight-loss diet.
Being low in sodium content, it is good for a diabetic person.
Check this Bengali style Chana Dal Recipe
|Prep Time||4 hour|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 cup Black Chickpea
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp Amchoor Dry Mango powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- coriander leaves
- lemon Optional
- Soak black chickpea in 3 cup water for 3 to 4 hour. Pressure cook them up to 2 to 3 whistle till they are done.Else boil them till they are done.Avoid over-cooking.
- In a pan heat oil. Add cumin seed, grated ginger and saute it.Add cumin powder, and coriander powder to oil at medium flame.
- Add red chili powder and cooked chana to it. Add chopped green chilis, amchoor powder and mix well. Add salt per your taste. Cover and cook Cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.Squeeze lemon If you need more tanginess and serve warm.