Dahi Vada are Soft lentil dumplings soaked in creamy yogurt which is perfectly balanced with some roasted spices gonna make you crazy when you taste it for the very first time. you simply can’t control yourself asking another plate. Sharing the Best Dahi Vada Recipe here.
Best Dahi Vada Recipe
In Odisha people enjoy this dish with spicy potato curry, chopped onion and hot green chili starting from breakfast to evening snack . The city of Cuttack has a special eminence on making this dish so far. In the famous food joints of Cuttack, they serve a combination of sweet & savory dahi-vada in the form of Chaat. Nothing can beat that taste!
As it travels from one state to another,it got many name like Dahi Bhalle in Punjab, Perugu Gari in Telugu, Thayir Vada in Tamil etc. Most of the people prepare this on a festival day where they can enjoy with family members and friends. And who doesn’t love this version of succulent Vada..Don’t you ?
I prepared this yesterday for the Rakhi celebration along with Gulkand Kalakand… I learned this one from my Mom. As you know i just love curry leaves and it’s my favorite herb,so I have used it here. If you want can replace it with fresh coriander leaves.
TIPS to make Best Dahi Vada Recipe
Make a smooth paste of Urad Dal. The batter should be well fermented. In Summer days this process is normal. While in Winter Days it takes time. So the trick is to keep the batter inside warm Oven overnight.
Before frying, do not forget to whip the batter for a minute using hand. The batter should be light before you drop into the hot oil.
The right temperature of Oil matters too. Fry at medium temperature both side of the Vada.
|Prep Time||480 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chili
- 1/2 inch mango ginger
- tsp black mustard seed
- 2 tbsp carrot chopped (optional)
- 2 cups thick curd
- 2 Dry Red chili
- 2 tsps cumin seed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Black salt
- curry leaves
- Soak Urad dal for 3 hour. Grind it to a smooth paste. The consistency should be thick so add very little water to make a paste.
- Keep it for fermentation for 4 to 6 hour. If the weather is humid and hot ,it will ferment in 3 to 4 hour.
- In a bowl add curd ,mago ginger, chopped carrot, black salt ,sugar and salt. Add green chili paste to it and Whisk it for a minute.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp oil ,add mustard seed and let it sputter. Add curry leaves and switch off the flame. Add this tadka. Leave it aside
- Once urad dal batter is fermented ,add chopped ginger ,salt and stir briskly for 2 minute.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Lower the flame to medium heat.Drop spoonful of batters into the oil. Fry both side at medium flame until they changed color to light golden.Take them out and keep on paper towel.
- In a bowl take normal water ,drop the fried vadas and soak them for 3 minute. Take each vada and press in between your palm gently ,so that excess water will remove out.
- Drop vadas is prepared yogurt spiced sauce.
- Now dry roast red chili and cumin powder .Cool it and make a powder.Sprinkle on dahi-vada and serve.