Learn How to make Poha at home with this easy recipe. Savory Poha Recipe has earned fame as a traditional Maharashtrian dish. It is said streets of Indore offer the best Poha-Jalebi is a popular breakfast.
What is Poha
Poha is most likely served in breakfast whenever you visit a Maharashtrian home. It is made from de-husked rice which is flattened into light dry flakes. These flakes of rice swell when added to liquid.
How to make Savory Poha Recipe
Apart from Poha ,de-husked rice can also be taken without cooking. It is soaked for some time and served with Curd , banana as a Breakfast in the Eastern part of India. There are a few regional Odia delicacies which I absolutely love eating any time.
A dish called ‘Chuda Kadam’ which is served with Dalma in Odisha. It is a popular Breakfast in Puri .
There are 2-3 varieties of Bitten Rice available in the market. You can use the thick one .Mostly the white is used , but you can also try the Red variety . They taste better.
In Maharashtra they use the White thick variety to make the popular Savory Poha Recipe.
I have added roasted peanuts to my recipe. You can also add fried cashew to it . If you like you can add seasonal veggies like beans , cauliflower or green peas.
You can add potatoes too and make a potato Poha. But cut into small cubes , it will cook easily.
Indore is a city that prides itself on its food. It is famous for it’s night food-street “sarafa” where delicious namkeen, snacks & lip smacking sweets are sold right from 8 pm up to 3 am.
A few days back I have shared a no-cook parfait where I used flattened rice, curd with chia seeds. Do check other posts in #BReaKurFastSeries where I am sharing popular breakfast dishes.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 2 cups Flattened rice
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp mango ginger optional
- 2 tbsp peanut roasted
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chilis
- 2 tbsp coarinder leaves garnish
- 2 tsp lemon juice optional
- Rinse once the flattened rice. Add turmeric ,sugar and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seed,curry leaves and let it sputter. Add chopped ginger, mango ginger ,chopped green chili and saute.
- Add onion sliced and fry for 30 sec ,mix flattened rice to it.
- Adjust salt and cover the pan with a lid, cook at slow flame for 4 to 5 minute. Let it cook in the steam.
- Open the lid ,add chopped coriander leaves & mix . Add roasted peanut and mix. Switch of the flame.
- Squeeze lemon juice on it and serve hot.
Poha is one of my all time favorite breakfasts! Yours looks perfect! Never knew that in Indore, they served it with Jalebi! That’s a combo I have to try! Thanks for sharing it here at Fiesta Friday!
I will try this at home.