Fish in Mustard Sauce Recipe is an easy one to follow. Rohu fish is slow cooked in mustard sauce for only 10 minutes.The result is delectable.
You can count this Recipe as my Family’s Recipe as I learnt from my Mom. The best thing about this dish is you do not have to fry the fish.All You need to do before you cook the fish is to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
Fish in Mustard Sauce Recipe
Using Mustard paste in Fish is a trend being followed in Odisha & West Bengal. There are hundreds of recipes that one can find .In this recipe , we are using only 2 tsp oil. That makes it even more healthier.
I strongly recommend using mustard oil in this recipe. That brings the best flavours to the dish.
Fish to be Used
One can use Rohu fish or Catla fish to prepare this dish.These two varieties are easily available at any fish stall in Bhubaneswar , Odisha. ♥
You can also try the dish with Pomfret fish slices.
The head of the fish is also used to make different kind of curries. You can check this dish with Cabbage.
I will be sharing one more recipe using only the fish head next week.
Fish in Mustard Sauce is one of my favourite dish. Serve with a hot bowl of steamed rice , the soulful meal ever!
Tips and Tricks in making Fish in Mustard Sauce
1.Use Mustard Oil to prepare the dish.
2. I have used Green Tomato as I didn’t have the red one at home. You need one tomato to bring the sourness.Due to ongoing lockdown in the Country , I am not stepping out.
3. You need to julienne the Onion. Slice the onion in half from the top . Now discard the outer layer and cut into thin slices.
4. you can add more green chillies if you wish.
5. After making the mustard paste , let it rest for 10 mins before you use it for marination. Immediate use of mustard paste may result bitterness in the curry.
Hope we are connected on Instagram. I share a lot of food and travel stories there. So do not miss them , follow Me 🙂
You may like to check this Bengali style Fish Recipe
|Prep Time||40 Minutes|
|Cook Time||10 Minutes|
- 500 gm Rohu Fish Slices
- 2 tbsp Black Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry Red chili
- 4 green chilies
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp onion seeds
- 10 Garlic cloves
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 1 Red Tomato
- Soak Dry red chillies and Mustard seeds in 1/4 cup water for 10 minutes.
- Make a fine paste with Garlic cloves. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Marinate Fish slices with turmeric powder, Onion slices, finely chopped tomato, mustard paste , slit green chilies and salt for 20 mins.
- Take a kadai and heat 1 tsp oil. Add onion seeds and let it sputter.
- Add marinated Fish slices .Add leftover marination liquid.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for 8 minutes at medium flame.Do not stir the fish with spatula.
- Now drizzle 1 tsp Mustard oil on top and let it cook for 2 minutes more. Serve warm with steamed rice.