This super crispy Masala Mathri Recipe is just perfect for Festive Season. It’s time for the biggest celebration of the year.
I can smell festive vibes in the breezy days of Autumn. Mahalay is an auspicious occasion observed seven days before Durga Puja begins. Goddess Durga starts her journey towards earth on the day of Mahalaya.
How can I sit calmly when the biggest celebration of the Year is just about to begin. We are gearing up with lots of preparation. Today prepared these delectable Masala Mathris with Mom. You can say I was like a helping hand to her.
What is Mathri
Mathri is a popular snack from North India. It is very similar to Nimkis that I have shared before. These are usually fried and mostly prepared in the festive season.
It goes so well with a cup of Tea or pickle. I have shared Whole Wheat Mathri before. You can bake Masala Mathri instead of frying. Though you may not get that taste and texture.
You can play with the ratio of Maida (all-purpose flour) and Atta (Whole Wheat flour). Check the Recipe of Whole Wheat Mathris.
I have found places in Delhi where they sell Healthy Mathri fried with Olive Oil. But the fact is that deep frying with olive oil does not make food healthier than frying with other kinds of polyunsaturated oils.
Masala Mathri Recipe , Step by Step Process
1. Take 3/4 cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup of Maida in a bowl. Add baking soda, 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper, 1 teaspoon carom seed, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. Add salt per taste. Add 2 tablespoons ghee.
2.Mix everything, add water and knead a firm dough.
3. Take a ball from the dough, just triple the size of a lemon. Roll into a circular disc. It should be a little thick compared to chapati.
4. Take a cookie cutter, cut round discs.
5. Take one disc and fold into half as below.
6. Now fold like this.
7.Press a clove to make a triangular shape Masala Mathri
8. Heat Oil and fry them both side at medium to slow flame.